As the school year begins, motorists are reminded to drive with extra caution when approaching and entering a school zone, when entering onto school property, or when approaching a school bus actively involved in either receiving or discharging children. In order to ensure the safety of the Borough’s school children, Police Department personnel will be placing an added emphasis on monitoring the operation of motor vehicles on the roadways where local schools are located in order to enforce those parts of the NJ motor vehicle code that pertain to school zones and school buses.
In keeping with the safety of children, motorists are further reminded to use caution in the area of schools, even after the school day ends when children leave later due to extracurricular activities and school sporting events.
In addition to police officers that are seen handling various traffic related duties at schools, a compliment of civilian school crossing guards work at specific heavy traffic intersections that are near the schools to assist children in walking safely to and from school each day.
Parents/Guardians dropping off students at SPF schools:
Students must be dropped off in the designated drop off/pickup zones. Parents are permitted to pull up along the curb line to drop off students. Students cannot be dropped off in the middle of the road. Students/passengers must exit vehicles on the curbside.
· Your vehicle must be within 6 inches of the curb.
· There is NO PARKING within 50 feet of a stop sign and NO PARKING within 25 feet of a crosswalk
· All motorist must abide by all traffic safety signs
· All vehicles must adhere to parking signs. NO PARKING SIGNS are not only designated for no parking, but also includes not stopping/standing to drop off students.
· All violations will be enforced throughout the school year.
· All pedestrians/students must cross the roadway at the nearest intersection. Crossing mid-block is against the law and extremely hazardous to the well being of the student(s) crossing the roadway.