Fire Safety (Carbon Monoxide)

The Fanwood Police reminds you to check your home heating system AND guard against carbon monoxide poisoning. 

 

1. HAVE YOUR FURNACE/HEATING SYSTEM SERVICED REGULARLY.

 

2. CHECK THE SYSTEM BEFORE THE WINTER SEASON.

 

3. PLACE CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS ON EVERY FLOOR OF YOUR HOME.

 

4. REMEMBER, CARBON MONOXIDE IS ODORLESS AND TASTELESS. IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS AND DEATH .

 

5. DON’T TRY TO REPAIR THE SYSTEM YOURSELF. SIMPLY OPENING THE WINDOWS WILL NOT STOP A FAULTY SYSTEM FROM POTENTIALLY HARMING YOU. AN OPEN WINDOW WILL CAUSE THE FURNACE TO CONTINUE RUNNING, IF THE SYSTEM IS FAULTY YOU ARE JUST ADDING MORE DEADLY FUMES INTO YOUR HOME.

 

6. WHILE YOU ARE AT IT CHECK THE BATTERIES IN ALL OF YOUR SMOKE ALARMS TOO! 

 

*** Do NOT hesitate to call 911 if there is a smell of gas in your house, or if you believe there to be a carbon monoxide leak. ***